Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A place to live - 3

june 9 2009

My second son is diagnosed with PDD-NOS.
He's a very creative young man.
20 he is now, and he's completely ready to leave the house and live on his own.

Apart from his PDD-NOS, or when you want to, as part of the autism spectrum syndrome, he's delayed in development a couple of years.

To help him overcome the troubles of living alone with his personal challenges, we decided it would be a good idea to go to a supported living environment.
There's one here in town, near our house, but with a bridge in between, so there's a psychological barrier between that place and us, but no barrier between his friends and him.

He really needs his group of friends, all on the autism spectrum, and they need him.

Problem is that that place is for people with a lower IQ.
But...with the same needs for support.

After filling in a tremendous pile of forms, which drove me nuts, we had to wait.

I had quite a lot of confidence, because my son's social worker called the organisation and they allowed him to apply.

After sending them all the paperwork the social worker of my son was told that my son was not part of their client description.
She put up a fight, because they knew that before we got the forms.
With a bit of pressure on her side, stressing the fact that he has the same needs, is delayed in development, and hasn't got a schooldiploma (which is another story) they decided to discuss his case like all other applications.

To live there, he needs to go to daycare or school.

He applied for a special school to become a photographer.
There the person who was assigned to be his mentor wasn't aware of what autism really is. (There's a difference between having followed a two day course and being able to support someone with autism in real life.)
She didn't want to invest in my son and rejected him from the school.

We put up a fight, and now he's able to show his abilities.

So all is ready for the move of my son....except the welcoming letter of the board of the living facility.

We know that there are plenty of empty apartments, my son got pots and pans from our former neighbour, I was even able to talk him out of taking his ugly couch with him. Which was quite a job!!

But we need to know if he can go there.

Today is the big day.

It's 12.10 and I hope they had a morning meeting so I would be able to tell him myself he can go before I'm leaving with one of the other boys to the doctor of his work. (Which is at a place that's too far away in my eyes.)

I'm almost bursting from stress.

We are all ready for our son to move.
On top of that, I don't know what he's going to do when they reject him.
His disappointment will be huge!!

Please keep your fingers crossed, pray, light a candle.

Part 1
Part 2
to be continued...

Logo made by me with tubes from Outlaw by Design.
It's not permitted to download.

1 comment:

  1. Spectrum Mother @ wordpressJune 10, 2009 at 3:27 AM

    I got booted off twitter, but wanted to know about the doctor today with your son. Also, I so relate to this post; I often think about the future for my son with Aspie and wonder where he will live, etc. Thanks for the post. My prayers are with you. Hugs.


Thank you for your comment.